I'm not a lawyer or a legal expert, but I wanted to get a better idea of what exactly "first degree sexual conduct" means in the state of Michigan. Maybe Amy Peterman is right, maybe this isn't such a big deal after all.
So I did a bit of research on google, to track down the statute which defines this crime. Here's what I found:
Link to the Michigan criminal statute which defines first degree criminal sexual conduct.
Again, I'm no expert, but here are some of the points/quotes I was able to gather from reading this statute:
- "Basically, first and third degree criminal sexual conduct involve penetration. First degree involves aggravating circumstances."
- "A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree if he or she engages in sexual penetration with another person and if any of the following circumstances exists..." Some of the circumstances listed include causing personal injury or using force to accomplish the sexual penetration.
- "Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years."
Yet Amy Peterman, a mother herself, stood calmly in court that day and asserted that this most horrific and violent of crimes (violent penetration of a five year old!!) was "not a violent crime."
Amy Peterman could have made many arguments for her client that day. She could have argued that he was disturbed, he had ADD, he was provoked or troubled, had a troubled childhood, etc., etc. . But she made none of these arguments. Instead she calmly and forcefully asserted that violent penetration of a five year old was not a violent crime.
Any person who can demonstrate such a lack of integrity and moral character is unfit to be elected in any capacity.
No comments:
Post a Comment